Chapter 7. FAQ
7.1. Frequently answered questions
7.1.1. Why can't I install the software?
- Check whether the computer hardware meets the software installation requirements. Please refer to [System requirements].
- Use administrator account to log in and then run the installation.
- When it shows a warning dialog while installing the software, press <Continue anyway>.
- Check the driver signing options, please modify it to ignore or warn.
- After uninstalling the software, it needs a restart before a new installation.
7.1.2. How can I configure network adapter and work mode?
- Please select a proper work mode according to the current network topology. Please refer to [Network environments].
- If there is no proper mode which matches the current network topology, please modify the topology.
- Please select a network adapter which connects the LAN. Please refer to [Select a network adapter].
|Tip: It is recommended that you select the gateway mode, because this mode is more stable and less performance-cost. And all the filtering modules can work normally under the gateway mode.
7.1.3. Why do I read an empty network adapter list?
- Please check whether the driver is normally installed, and check the network adapter connection properties. Following shows a service:
- Please check the [Active Capture Driver] option.
- If there is no such [Active Capture Driver] option in the general tab, please uninstall the software and restart the system. And then install the software again. When it shows a warning dialog while installing the software, press <Continue anyway>.
- If there is an option [Active Capture Driver] checked, please try to cancel the check and then check it again. When it shows a warning dialog while installing the software, press <Continue anyway>.
7.1.4. Why are there many IP addresses from outside in the [Default] group?
- Because the user selects an improper work mode which does not match the current network topology. Please refer to [How can I configure network adapter and work mode].
- Please try to check the correct net adapter you select for LAN connection. Refer to [Select Adapter].
- Please try to check the IP list configured in [Select Adapter].
7.1.5. Does this software support multi-subnet and VLAN?
- <Active Wall> identifies computers by IP addresses, so it supports multi-subnet and VLAN.
- Computers in multi-subnet or VLAN communicate with each other through routers or switch, the source MAC address in the data packets will be replaced with a router's MAC address. Therefore, MAC filter module may not work in this environment.
7.1.6. Why can not I find Active Wall through the Microsoft Remote Desktop connection?
- Active Wall is running as service in Windows, and only can be operated by the first local accountant (not remote).
- Execute the command: "mstsc/console", then the user through remote connection can operate Active Wall.
- VNC is better for remote connection, for details please go to the site: http://www.realvnc.com
7.1.7. How to configure a network bridge?
- Open "Network neighborhood" in Windows, select two network adapters in the same time and right click, then in the pop up menu, select the option [Bridge Connections], and Windows will build up a network bridge automatically.
- When the bridge is built up, the two adapters' IP address will disappear. Select the Network Bridge and configure a new IP address in the [Properties] menu, for LAN connections.
- When using a bridging mode, you need do step 1 and step2 first of all, and then install <Active Wall>. Otherwise, the soft driver can not find a correct adapter. If you install the soft in the computer without a network bridge, please uninstall the soft and repeat step 1 and 2.
- When completing the installation, you can find in the dialog [Select Adapter] three adapters available. Two of them are real ones for LAN connections, with IP address "0.0.0.0". The other one is a network bridge, which is a dummy. You need to select a real adapter with IP address "0.0.0.0".
7.2. Known problems
7.2.1. HTTP filter ignores gzip webpage
In HTTP filter module, web keyword filtering function can automatically recognize ANSI and UTF8 coding and perform keywords matching. However, the web keyword filtering is overlooked when some web servers use gzip to output compressed webpage content, which cannot be recognized by HTTP filter module
7.2.2. Shortage of passby mode
When using a passby mode in LAN. Limited with the network topology, Active Wall can not deny UDP/ICMP/IGMP packets. Several filtering modules do not work. If the option [Enable active redirect on passby mode] is checked, Active Wall will start the function ARP spoofing, which will redirect all the data packets in LAN. It is recommended that the ARP spoofing function is used only in small-sized LAN, for the reason that this function does some impacts on performance of the whole network.
7.2.3. Delay of domain filtering module
When a computer in LAN tries to analyze a domain name, it will firstly search in local host DNS cache. If it can find the domain name, it will return at once. Or it will send a DNS query request. So a new policy on DNS filter module may not work at once on the monitored computers. After the local host DNS cache expires, the policy will work.
Active Network CO., Ltd